La Almunya del Sur, Spain
- Name: La Almunya del Sur Andalusian Botanical Garden
- Address: Paraje Tarambana, 284. 04700 El Ejido. Almería, Spain
- Phone: +34 610 52 30 84
- Website: https://es-es.facebook.com/JardinBotanicoLaAlmunyaDelSur
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Opening hours: 1) Winter schedule:
Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday: 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Saturday and Sunday: 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. Tuesday closed
2) Spring schedule:
Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday: 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. Tuesday closed
3) Summer schedule :
Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday: 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. Tuesday closed
- Institution: Private
- Director: Manuel Sánchez Robles
The garden has a multipurpose space with audiovisual media of 40 m2. Two outdoor spaces, one at the entrance of the garden with capacity for 60 people and another immersed in the garden with capacity for 80 people.
- Number of Species:
- Conservation programmes: Educational program for knowledge and enhancement of native species aimed at students and other groups.
-Maintenance and recovery of traditional fruit and horticultural species.
-Awareness program on the correct use of water resources.
-Knowledge and use of xerophilous species for the implementation of sustainable gardens.
- Contribution to the herbarium of the University of Almería with sheets of ornamental flora for the study and preservation.
- Research Programs:
- Salt Garden Project in collaboration with the University of Almeria, which includes the transfer of halophyte plants grown in our garden to the “Garden of Salt” of the University of Almeria.
- Studies on:
-The cultivation and association of different species from different climates and needs.
-The behavior of xerophytic species in periods of semi-shade.
-From the positive effects on the mood of the people who visit our garden.
-From the cycle of nutrients and behavior of the garden with different layers of vegetation
-The padding of the soil with plant material generated in the garden itself
- Education Programmes:
Specific educational program which includes a didactic guide for knowledge and awareness of plants of Andalusian origin. This guide is divided into the following main lines of work:
- Identification and enhancement of native species.
- Identification and enhancement of edible species.
- Start-up of the five senses to enjoy the garden to the fullest.
- Knowledge of the fundamental keys for the identification of species cataloging.
- Knowledge and dissemination of plants in Andalusian gardens.
- Recycling plans implemented in the garden.
The Almunya del Sur is an Andalusian-style farm conformed by a traditional rustic-style dwelling and the andalusian garden-orchard. The Almunya del Sur intends to secure a balance between maximizing the productivity of natural resources, on the one hand, and ensuring their conservation on the other. Fruit crops, mainly citrus, associated with the cultivation of exotic and aromatic plants, generate a respectful and sustainable balance with the environment. Being an Andalusian garden, highlights the importance of water that is present throughout the garden in the form of ponds and fountains. The path of the garden, through a network of interlaced paths, is a unique sensory experience for the visitor.
Likewise, the South Almunya offers in a complementary way gardening workshops, agricultural techniques, environmental education that include the promotion of the use of autochthonous plants, and the knowledge and acclimatization of exotic species (non-invasive), botanical divulgation activities, and other related to the sustainability and preservation of biodiversity.