PEP LEMON, THE FUTURE IS LOCAL, SPAIN
- Name: PEP LEMON, THE FUTURE IS LOCAL
- Institution: Lemon Factory SL
- Address: C/Sant Feliu 17, local 15, 07012 Palma de Mallorca (Majorca, Balearic Islands, Spain)
- Contact: Carme Verdaguer Aguiló. Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: +34 646 20 38 15
- Sustainable initiative kick-off: 15.03.2014
- Goals: 1) To produce a quality and natural soft drink with a sustainable approach, taking full advantage of local resources. 2)To apply circular economy within the production process, where waste is converted into raw materials.
- Features: Mallorca is an island that triples its population in the summer season. Resources are limited and the industrial corporations are practically non-existent. 99% of what is consumed is imported. However, there was industrial companies in the past. Indeed, In the ‘60s there was an industry of more than 50 small local beverage factories. Today, there are only 2 left. With this project Lemon Factory intends to revitalize an industry that is currently a trend throughout Europe by promoting local beverages, as opposed to big multinational brands. To achieve this, it was necessary to modernise the concept and the design in order to make it more attractive for consumers. This local product is designed, not as a delicatessen product targeted to the tourism sector, but as an innovative product, for a responsible, modern, healthy and high-quality consumption.
- Results: Since 2014, Pep Lemon has produced more than 600,000 lemon juice bottles, using 120t of waste citrus and have given stable work to a team of 20 people with functional diversity, promoting local economy.
Projects and Actions:
Sustainable production strategy
Sustainable production strategy has the following characteristics:
- Pep Lemon takes full advantage of wasted products as they use them as resources (lemons, carob …). Most of cultivated lemons are wasted: most of them don’t even reach the supermarket shelves or either they are not harvested because they don’t have the quality requirements for its consumption (in Majorca, in only one farmers’ cooperative 40t of lemon can be discard per year). Likewise, many estates are in disuse and lemon trees are losing its fruit.
- Reusable glass bottles (approx. up to 24 uses).
- Pep Lemon is looking for collaborators in order to share knowledge and infrastructures and thus minimize investment costs.
- Pep Lemon has created a modern and well-positioned brand, apable to empathise with their consumers so they can feel them as a close and trustworthy company.
Strategy for Sustainable Growth
The philosophy “The future is local” means that Pep Lemon renounces to export and they seek other similar environments to replicate this business idea and production model (for example, all Mediterranean countries have agricultural detriments and common production structures). In this way, local wealth and sustainable development is created