PEP LEMON, THE FUTURE IS LOCAL
- Name: PEP LEMON, THE FUTURE IS LOCAL
- Institution: Lemon Factory SL
- Address: C/Sant Feliu 17, local 15, 07012 Palma de Mallorca
- Contact: Carme Verdaguer Aguiló email@example.com +34 646 20 38 15
- Sustainable initiative kick-off: 15.03.2014
- Goals: To produce a quality natural drink with a sustainable approach, taking full advantage of local resources. To apply the circular economy in our production process, where waste is converted into raw materials.
- Features: Mallorca is an island that triples its population in the summer season. Resources are limited and the industrial corporations are practically non-existent. 99% of what is consumed comes from outside Mallorca. However, there was industrial companies in the past. Indeed, In the 60s there was an industry of more than 50 small local beverage factories. Today, there are only 2. With this project we intend to revitalize an industry that is currently a trend throughout Europe promoting local beverages, as opposed to the big multinational brands. In this direction, it was necessary to make more atractive the concept for consumers. The local product is designed, not as a delicatessen product destined to tourism sector, but as an innovative product, for a responsible, modern, healthy and high quality consumption.
- Results: Since 2014, we have produced more than 600,000 lemon juice bottles, using 120t of waste citrus and gave stable work to a team of 20 people with disabilities, promoting local economy.
Projects and Actions:
Sustainable production strategy
We can highline the following characteristics:
1. We take full advantage of existing resources that are wasted (lemons, carob …). The lemons are lost because a good part does not reach the supermarket or they are not collected because they have not the quality requirements for consumers (in Mallorca, only one of the farmers’ cooperatives can discard 40Tn of lemons a year). Likewise, many farms are in disuse and the trees are losing the fruit.
2. Returnable glass container (approx 24 returns each container).
3. We look for collaborators who can provide knowledge and infrastructures and thus minimize investment costs.
4. We have created a modern and well-positioned brand, capable of empathizing with the consumer so that they feel close and credible.
Strategy for Sustainable Growth
With the philosophy “The future is local”, we renounce to export and we seek to replicate the business idea and production model to other similar environments (for example, all Mediterranean countries have agricultural detriments and common production structures). In this way local wealth and sustainable development is created.