Azerbaijan – Physical geography data

Azerbaijan   Physical geography dataThe Republic of Azerbaijan is located between the continents of Europe and Asia in the Caucasus, on the western shore of the Caspian Sea, to the north-west of the Persian plateau. The three main mountain ranges are the Greater and Lesser Caucasus and the Talysh mountains, which altogether cover about 40% of the country. Low-lying lands and plains account for the remaining 60%. The main sources of water in Azerbaijan are surface water, although only 24 of the country’s 8,350 rivers exceed 100 km in length. All the rivers drain into the Caspian Sea, to the east, through the three main river basins – the Caspian, Kur and Aras basins.

The natural climate conditions in Azerbaijan are unique because it comprises 9 to 11 climate zones. In low-lying areas, summers are hot and winters mild, but in mountainous areas, summers are cooler, with temperatures sometimes dropping below zero.

Back to General information

Countries | Download this page in PDF format

Join our community

If you agree with Med-O-Med’s principles, share our goals, and want to join our community, you only need to fill in a simple form: click on REGISTER, at the top of the page to apply for membership. It is free, and will allow you to access exclusive content and share projects and ideas with other carefully vetted individuals and institutions. Members can also create their own blogs and contribute articles and academic research. Membership is subjected to approval by Med-O-Med’s admissions commitee.

Projects

MED-O-MED aspires to making the development of Islamic countries in these regions compatible with the preservation of their environment and heritage. It aims to set up projects involving maximum participation by regional social and public agents, with total respect for genetic sovereignty and the cultural identity of the local populations, all within an inter-cultural and a multi-disciplinary approach.

Countries »

This section, which will continue to grow as more research and projects are carried out in the future, contains practical information about Med-O-Med’s lines of work and the countries in the Mediterranean and the Middle East where the program develops its activities.

Library

Our library is a live repository where you can find scientific research and publications.