Egypt – Physical geography data

Egypt   Physical geography dataEgypt   Physical geography data

Egypt occupies about one million square kilometres and can be divided into four physiographical regions – the Nile valley, the western desert, the eastern desert and the Sinai desert. Arid desert covers 96% of its territory, and the remaining 4% is arable land in the Nile valley, the Nile delta and in some oases in the western desert.

The country can also be divided into four bioclimatic zones – the eastern desert zone which is hyperarid with mild winters, hot summers and very scarce rainfall; the southern Sinai region with cold winters, hot summers and less than 30 mm of rainfall; the Mediterranean coastal strip, and the Nile and coastal wetlands (Nile valley, Nile delta).

Back to General information

Countries | Download this page in PDF format

Join our community

If you agree with Med-O-Med’s principles, share our goals, and want to join our community, you only need to fill in a simple form: click on REGISTER, at the top of the page to apply for membership. It is free, and will allow you to access exclusive content and share projects and ideas with other carefully vetted individuals and institutions. Members can also create their own blogs and contribute articles and academic research. Membership is subjected to approval by Med-O-Med’s admissions commitee.


MED-O-MED aspires to making the development of Islamic countries in these regions compatible with the preservation of their environment and heritage. It aims to set up projects involving maximum participation by regional social and public agents, with total respect for genetic sovereignty and the cultural identity of the local populations, all within an inter-cultural and a multi-disciplinary approach.

Countries »

This section, which will continue to grow as more research and projects are carried out in the future, contains practical information about Med-O-Med’s lines of work and the countries in the Mediterranean and the Middle East where the program develops its activities.


Our library is a live repository where you can find scientific research and publications.